Saturday, March 7, 2015

Products Worth the Investment | LA Colors 16 Color Eyeshadow Palette | Review and Swatches

Hello there!!

Today's Products Worth the Investment review is on the LA Colors 16 Color Eyeshadow palettes.

If you've been following me here or on Instagram, you probably know that I've had these palettes for a while now and it took me soo long to finally review these because I wanted to make sure that I've used each palette well enough to make a clear and honest review.

Here are the three palettes from top to bottom: Haute, Smokin', and Sweet.

The first thing I noticed when swatching the shadows is that even if they feel very smooth, creamy, and buttery, they are very powdery and have tons of fall out! You've been warned!

Haute
Swatches of Haute without primer underneath.
I'm a little disappointed with this palette as I wish they didn't have two very similar cool toned pink shades and I find that the orange and light green shades are less pigmented than the rest. I think that golden olive shadow from the top row is also very random and doesn't fit the theme of this palette. With all that madness going on with the top row, I am obsessed with the bottom row, especially with the four shades to the right!

Smokin'
Swatches of Smokin' without primer underneath.
I have no complaints about this palette only that I wish the black was a little darker rather than being a charcoal shade. Aside from that, I completely adore this palette!

Sweet
Swatches of Sweet without primer underneath.
You all know I love my neutrals! This palette offers a decent amount of  neutral shades that gravitate towards the warm side. With the handful of shades available, I still think it is not enough, it lacks transition and definer shades. The black shadow in this palette is a bluish black so it isn't the same black shade as from the Smokin' palette.

The white shadow from all three palettes are exactly the same shadows which is really disappointing!
Also, I wish the palette offered a wider range of finishes. All shadows have a pearlized or shimmer finish which is again, pretty disappointing because that makes these palettes not suitable for being "stand-alone" palettes.

Although I would always recommend using a good primer, all shadows show up quite impressively without primer underneath (No where close to the UD Electric palette or Lorac Pro palette). For onlt a couple dollars, these shadows are very pigmented on the eyes, especially the lighter highlighter shades, I find that even if I lightly tap my brush into the shadow and tap off the excess, I still have lots of pigment left on my brush to work with and give my inner corners and brow bones a good highlight.



Overall, I think the L.A. COLORS 16 Colors eyeshadow palettes are great palettes to add to your collection if you're just wanting to experiment with a little color and go out of your comfort zone. For the price of $3.99, you're not losing much. And if you already have great, highly pigmented, good quality shadows (not saying that these aren't!), then I think you can definitely skip on these.
I find Smokin to be great to use for adding a pop of color to your smokey eyes, Sweet for everyday neutral eyes, and Haute to add a definite pop of color to your everyday looks. Although these palettes claim to have both matte and shimmer shadows, the finishes range from pearl to shimmer. The Sweet palette offers a decent range of shimmer highlighter shades, shimmer transition shades, shimmer defining shades and even some stand-alone shadows, but no palette, in my opinion, is good enough on its own, you need a matte transition or defining shade unless you're aiming for an all out, bright, shimmery look.


I hope you found this quick review helpful!

Stay tuned for more reviews!
Thank you for reading!

-Mary

5 comments:

  1. Always and forever so informative and creative with your posts. Looove it. This is why I always nominate you! Here is another nomination sweet thang! :P

    dramabeautypop.wordpress.com/2015/03/14/the-infinity-dreams-award

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Thank you so much, Dian!
      You are so incredibly sweet yourself!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow these palettes are soooo pigmented! I will definitely be looking into them. Great post girl!

    -Aliza from WWW.BEAUTYOBSESSIONS3.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found this helpful!

      Thank you for reading! :)

      Delete