Friday, June 19, 2015

Products Worth the Investment Review | elf Contour Palette | Review and Swatches

Hello there!

I know I've been gone for a while, but I promise to make it up to you all!
Today's Products Worth The Investment Review is on the newly released elf Contour Palette that I am sooo excited about! elf has definitely stepped up their game!





I've recently been eyeing the Anastasia, Kat Von D, and It Cosmetics Contour Kits, but knowing that they each retail about $40 (and I'm new to contouring), I felt quite hesitant about which from the three to pick up. BUT THEN.........my heart almost literally exploded with excitement when I learned that elf was releasing a new contour palette for only $6! Ahhh! I'm still so excited!! So obviously I had to pick it up the day it released and I've been playing around with it since then.

I really like the packaging of this palette. It is packaged the same as their blush and bronzer quads and their new foundation palettes. It is very sleek and has a large mirror and you can pop off the pans so you can customize your your own palette.



The palette comes with four shades (clockwise from the top left): 
     White Highlight: satin finished white highlight with a slight golden sheen
     Neutral Setting Powder: matte finished cream setting/defining powder
     Warm Bronze: matte finished warm toned bronzing powder
     Cool Contour: matte finished cool toned contour powder 


This palette would better suit light to medium and probably slightly tan skin tones. Even on my light to medium skin, I find the setting/definer shade almost blending right into my skin and I find that I have to layer a bit of the bronzer as it applies quite sheer with a brush.
The highlight shade is absolutely gorgeous! Typically I'm one who enjoys a strong, the-angels-blew-kisses-on-my-skin kind of highlight, but this is what I imagine the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders to be like. I don't own them so I can't compare, but the glow that comes off from this highlight is just so subtle and natural looking. You can dust this all over your face or on the high points of your face and it'll leave you looking naturally glowy without the glitter!
The contour shade is also very nice, It has a gray undertone which allows it to give a natural looking shadow without the warmth.

I find the actual product is very buttery smooth, pigmented and buildable. If you already own a contour kit like the Anastasia, Kat Von D or It Cosmetics ones, I really don't think you need this as it is very basic but straight to the point (which in my opinion is what makes it great especially for beginners).


Overall I think if you have a light to medium and maybe a light tan skin tone, I think this palette will be a good investment if you don't already own a pro contour kit. If you have a fair or deep skin tone I unfortunately don't think this palette will work well for you. I'm really hoping (ehem and predicting) that elf comes out with pan refills of different shades like a darker bronzer or a more pinky toned highlight?? Oh yeah! Bring it on elf!


Thanks so much for reading!
Stay tuned for a tutorial tomorrow!

-Mary


No comments:

Post a Comment