Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Maybelline The Nudes Eyeshadow Palette | Review + Swatches

Hello hello!!

I'm a neutrals girl whether in my wardrobe or in my makeup. I enjoy the look of neutral colors with an exception of an occasional pop of color.

My everyday makeup always features neutral lips and neutral eyes...I typically reserve a smokey look for a special occasion. I often find myself always on the hunt for the perfect drugstore or low-end eyeshadow palette that will do the job right. I want to wear something on my lids, but I don't want anything too crazy shimmery or anything too dark and smokey. 

I already own the Lorac Pro Palette, but I wanted to have a drugstore alternative to that palette (I'm not at all trying to say that this is a dupe for it). So I was thrilled when I saw the new Maybelline The Nudes eyeshadow palette being reviewed by Emily Eddington on her emilynoel83 channel on YouTube back in May. As soon as I watched her review and tutorial for it, I was convinced and I went on a major hunt to find it - WalMart, CVS, Walgreens, online - no place had it yet. But I finally found it at my local Target for only $9.99! I was particularly excited because I love drugstore makeup and this palette was only $9.99! 


Price Comparison:
 CVS for $12.99  
 Ulta for $9.99
 WalMart for $9.98







This palette comes with 12 total eyeshadows. I find that only one of them is actually glittery, two are shimmery, four are satiny,  and the last five are 'matte' (they have the tiniest bit of shimmer, but on the eyes they look matte).
For reference, I labelled the shadows by number...Top row (from left to right): 1-6
Bottom row (from left to right): 7-12


 These are the best eyeshadow primers I like to use with the Maybelline The Nudes Palette.
The two top ones are e.l.f.'s smudge pots in 'Back to Basics' and 'Gotta Glow', the middle one is NYX's White Eyeshadow Base, the two bottom ones are e.l.f.'s smudge pots in 'Brownie Points' and 'Crusin Chic', and I forgot to include this in the picture, but I also like using e.l.f.'s Eyelid Primer in 'Nude'. 


Here are all 12 eyeshadows swatched without any primer underneath.


Here are all 12 eyeshadows swatched with e.l.f.'s Eyelid Primer in 'Nude' underneath.
I typically use this and lay an e.l.f. Smudge Pot over a certain area (such as 'Gotta Glow' in the inner corners and inner half of the lid).


Here are all 12 eyeshadows swatched with NYX's White Eyeshadow Base underneath.
I find that the NYX White Eyeshadow Base is the best primer to use to get the eyeshadows to look the closest to what you see in the palette.



Left Swatch: Shade 9 alone
Right Swatch: 'Gotta Glow' underneath Shade 9


Top Row: Shades 2 and 5 alone next to Shades 2 and 5 with  'Crusin Chic' underneath
Bottom Row: Shades 7 and 8 alone next to Shades 7 and 8 with 'Back to Basics' underneath


Top Row: Shade 4 alone next to Shade 4 with  'Brownie Points' underneath
Bottom Row: Shade 10 alone next to Shade 10 with  'Brownie Points' underneath


Overall, I really like this palette and I would highly recommend it for anyone trying to find a good everyday neutral palette. I would definitely recommend you to use a good primer underneath as well, otherwise the shadows would come off very easily and you would miss out on what this palette could offer. At first I was actually disappointed by the pigmentation of this palette (I got used to the very pigmented Gold from the Lorac Pro Palette), but as soon as I got enough time to play around with this, I've learned to really enjoy it!! I really like how this palette could give you such a natural everyday look to a dark smokey look.The only downside to this palette is that there are some very similar shades with just different finishes, such as shades 2 and 5, and there are some eyeshadows that are amazingly buttery like shades 6 and 8, but there are super dry and chalky eyeshadows like shades 1 and 12. 
I would give this palette a 4.4 star rating.


Click here to checkout my tutorial using only the Maybelline The Nudes eyeshadow palette.


I hope you found this helpful!
Let me know what you think in the comment section!

Thanks for reading!


-Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment