Monday, August 4, 2014

Benefit: They're Real Mascara- First Impression Review

Hello hello!!

On the hunt for a mascara that gives you the perfect false lash effect?
Well join the club! I am too! 

This is a first impression review of the Benefit They're Real Mascara, in a couple months I may or may not update this post to see if I still feel the same way I currently feel about this mascara. We'll have to see.



The Benefit They're Real Mascara claims to lengthen, curl, volumize, lift and separate lashes while still being long-wearing and smudge proof.  This mascara features a uniquely designed rubber bristle brush that "reveals lashes you never knew you had". Sounds hard to believe...but lets see what this does for me.






This is a close up of the wand, it is a rubber bristle brush that has spikes at the tip of it.
I'm not a big fan of the brush, I feel like it doesn't work well with the formula of the mascara and therefore creates clumps (especially with those spikes at the tip).
I find that if I go too close to my lash line with this brush, it actually pokes and hurts my tightline.

Here's my curled lashes without any product on it.

First coat. I definitely see some length beginning to build up. If I were to use this as an everyday mascara, one coat would do the job. I feel like the brush really separates my lashes and the spiked tip is really good for getting the inner and outer corners of my lashes.

Second coat. I am definitely seeing some decent  length and volume in my lashes. At this point, I still feel like the brush does a good job at separating my lashes, but the spiked tip could cause clumps since it is a little difficult to clean off any excess product between the spiky bristled tip.


Third Coat. At this point, my lashes were already getting really clumpy and spidery looking, which isn't exactly my thing. So I am being completely honest here, I did not go all the way with the third coat. As soon as I went in for the third coat, I was already seeing clumps form at the tips of my lashes, so using the tip of the brush, I just added a little definition at the inner and outer corners of my lashes.

My top lashes at three coats. You can see how focusing the tip of that brush on the outer corner of my lashes really flares out that specific area.



According to the Consumer Panel Survey in the Benefit website...
94%
 saw dramatic length & volume
90% saw base-to-tip curl
94% saw visible lift
100% saw long-wearing results

 
Now lets see where I fit in in this survey...
Saw Dramatic Length & Volume:
I would definitely agree that this mascara provides dramatic length and volume. Based on the last photo of my eyelashes with three coats of Benefit's They're Real Mascara, I already know that I wouldn't be going out on an everyday basis with this type of dramatically defined lashes. 

Saw Base-to-Tip Curl:

After three coats of this mascara, I did not notice my lashes losing its curl whatsoever. I curled my lashes before applying the mascara I did not see any visible signs that the mascara helped curl my lashes even more, I have to mention though that it held up the curl even after 9+ hours of wear!! Impressed about that!

Saw Visible Lift:
Totally agree! Even after 9+ hours of wear, my lashes definitely remained perky and lifted! 

Saw Long-Wearing Results:
Definitely a long wearing mascara, I've been wearing this mascara for 9+ hours and I'm wearing it as I'm typing this post right now! I haven't experienced any smudging or flaking so far.  9+ hours of wear without any smudging or flaking? Quite impressive!
 

Benefit's They're Real Mascara is rated with a 4.4 star customer rating in Benefit's website and I do agree with that rating. I would personally give it a 4.5 star rating!

Overall, I think this mascara is a great mascara! I love the formula of this mascara, I love how it provides great length and volume to my lashes and I love its ability of holding up my lashs' curl and keeping my lashes perky and lifted even after 9+ hours of wear! I really like how this mascara doesn't smudge or flake on me.
What I don't like about it though is its rubber bristle brush! I feel like the tip of it really picks up so much product and the brush itself would be better off without the spikes at the tip. I don't like the fact that the mascara starts to get clumpy after only two coats and looks spidery by the third coat, I feel like the brush just doesn't work well with the formula of the mascara and therefore creates so much clumps. 

I will definitely tryout this mascara underneath my favorite Smashbox Full Exposure Mascara for a very dramatic look!

If you decide to pick up Benefit's They're Real Mascara, don't forget to let me know what you think about it!

-Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment