Wednesday, May 20, 2015

e.l.f. Studio Makeup Mist & Set Spray Review + Best Ways to Use

Hello!! 

One of the products I've been trying to use up is the e.l.f. Studio Makeup Mist & Set Spray, which is a great, affordable, and cruelty free dupe for MAC's FixPlus.


e.l.f. Makeup Mist & Set - with Aloe, Green Tea, Cucumber, and Vitamins A, C& E
2.02 fl oz/60 ml


About a year ago, I purchased the e.l.f. Studio Makeup Mist & Set at their online site with the intention of using it to increase the longevity of my makeup. Now that I've been using it for quite some time, and will be purchasing my second bottle soon, I wanted to do a review and share some of the best ways I've come up with to use the e.l.f. Studio Makeup Mist & Set. 


Price Comparison:

  • e.l.f. Studio Makeup Mist & Set $3 for 2.2fl.oz
  • MAC FixPlus $33 for 1.7fl.oz.


Product Ingredients: (Which are very similar)

  • e.l.f. Studio Makeup Mist & Set: Water (Aqua), AMP-acrylates/Allyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Tocopheryl Acetate (Ve), Retinyl Palmitate (Va) Ascorbyl Palmitate (Vc), Green Tea Extract,Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Aloe Arborescens Leaf Extract, Methylparaben,Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Butylparaben, Phenoxyethanol
  • MAC FixPlus: Water, glycerin, butylene glycol, Cucumis Sativus (cucumber) fruit extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf extract, tocopheryl acetatea, caffeine, panthenol, arginine, ethylhexylglycerin, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, Ppg-26-Buteth-26, fragrance, disodium Edta, dehydroacetic acid, phenoxyethanol, benzoic acid



Best Uses
My main use for this product is for giving my skin a natural, dewy, airbrushed finish especially after using powder foundation. Once all my makeup is applied, I mist this lightly all over my face, I find that doing this makes my mineral powder foundation melt into my skin, giving my skin a natural looking glow...if you have oily skin, I wouldn't recommend spraying this heavily as it may make your face look more oily throughout the day.

On those days where I accidentally put on too much powder foundation or during the winter where my dry skin seems to be highlighted by powder foundations, I just give my face a couple spritz all over to make my makeup look less heavy and cakey...just make sure to immediately fan down and dry any large drop so your foundation won't run down your face! I really like using this technique because I feel like it does such an amazing job at making especially powder products look skin-like. 

Another way I put this product to use is by spritzing a couple sprays directly on my brush just before using it with some eyeshadows, whether its a pressed eyeshadow, a glittery eyeshadow, or a loose pigment, doing this makes the eyeshadows look very vibrant and sometime look foiled.
Sometimes instead of spraying this directly on my brush, I spray a couple sprays in the cap and I dip my brush into the cap instead...it works just as great. I find that using this technique makes even the least vibrant eyeshadows more vibrant and reduces the fallout on even the chalkiest eyeshadows.

Another way I like to use this is to lightly mist it directly on any cream product (cream/gel eyeliner, cream blush, cream eyeshadow, etc) to moisten it and make it easier to work with. This makes a product that might be on the drier side (or a product that has gotten dry) creamier and easier to work with. 

You can also make your own custom eyeliner by spritzing a couple sprays on a palette, then dip your eyeliner brush into any eyeshadow and then mix the eyeshadow from the brush into the area where you sprayed the e.l.f. Mist & Set, and then use it to line your eyes with. 

Lastly, this product is absolutely great to use for spot cleaning your brushes. I just spray two or three sprays directly on a brush and swirl it around on a tissue or dry cloth. The Mist & Set Spray removes any excess product from your brushes while swirling it on a tissue or cloth dries the brush making it ready to use between different products.



Review
Overall, I really really like this product and I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a cruelty free dupe or alternative to the MAC FixPlus. The actual product is absolutely great and I will definitely be repurchasing. I've heard people comment about this product having a foul scent, but to me, it smells just like mineral makeup and I actually like its scent! It smells very natural and fresh and once it sets on your face, you really cant smell it. The only downside I have about this is the packaging...the sprayer shoots out product instead of lightly misting it and can sometimes leave whole beads of product on your face! Also, I find that I really have to leave this bottle standing upright, otherwise it will leak out from the top of the nozzle. 


I hope you found this review helpful!
Stay tuned for more!
-Mary 

No comments:

Post a Comment