Friday, September 5, 2014

DIY Jewelry & Accessories: Earrings + Earring Organizers

Hello hello there!!

Today I have a double DIY project for you guys and its on these really cute and unique earrings and an easy and quick earring organizer...more like a trick to organize your earrings so you won't lose them.

These are the three earrings that I will be demonstrating how I made them.

Things you'll be needing: tweezers, pliers, wire cutters, eye pins, head pins,  E6000 Glue or Super Glue (any strong, permanent, fast drying glue), earring hooks, various sized jump rings, etc., assorted buttons, spikes, studs, charms, pendants, gears, pretty much anything you want to make or recycle into earrings..


Gold spiked earrings, I used two vintage gold buttons, two matching gold spikes, two eye pins, pliers, tweezers, super glue, and earring hooks.
I started by dabbing a tiny drop of super glue on the flat part of the spike and pressed it firmly on the gold button.
I gave the glue a couple minutes to completely dry.  
After the glue has completely set, I inserted an eye pin through the hole of the button and bent it securely onto itself so that it 'hugs' the button. 
I twisted the eye pin around itself a couple of times until I am left with a small part hanging.
Here's when I inserted the earring hook and continued to twist the eye pin around itself, concealing the pointed edge.
If using the pliers is too complicated to open small jump rings and hooks with, use a pair of tweezers instead. 
Finished product of gold spiked earrings



Cable earrings: tweezers, pliers, wire cutters, scissors, super glue, two eye pins, earring hooks, and the cable wire.
I started off by using either the scissors or the wire cutter to cut the actual cable off of the wire chord.



This is how the cables should look like once you've cut off all the wires out.
I shortened my 2 inch eye pins by cutting them with wire cutters to about 1 centimeter (or shorter) to fit into the cable.
I dotted a small amount of super glue over the opening of the cable where we cut off the chord earlier, let it set for about 15-30 seconds and pierced the eye pin through the middle of the opening, pushing it all the way in until only the loop part of the pin shows through.
If the pin won't go in any further and you still have left over of the pin part exposed, quickly take it out and cut it once again to make it fit perfectly into the cable.
This is what it should look like once the whole pin is in the cable and only the loop part sticks out.
Lastly, I hooked the earring hook on to the loop part of the eye pin. 
Finished product of the cable earrings


Gear earring: pliers, tweezers, earring hooks, various sized jump rings, gears
Arrange and position how you'd want to final earrings to look.
Lay out the gears, earring hooks, and the jump rings.
Start by attaching the smallest gear to the earring hook, then work your way to attach the largest gear.
I found that doing this is much easier, but definitely go for what you're comfortable with.
This is what mine looked like after attaching the third gear, which is my largest gear on the earrings.
Finished product of the gear earrings



I also made a matching pendant for the gear earrings. 
Gear necklace pendant: pliers, tweezers, small jump rings, gears, chain, clock charm
For the pendant, I followed the same steps I took for making the earrings, I attached the smallest gears to each other and then added the larger gears.
After I've attached all the gears together, that's when I hooked it onto my clock charm.
I then inserted a chain through the top hoop of the charm
Finished product of the gear pendant



These are a few of my other creations.
Here's the second part to this little "DIY" project.
Its more of a tip on how to keep your earrings organized...
Use buttons to keep your earrings organized...it will help you a lot so you don't lose an earring somewhere in your jewelry box.


I hope this inspires you to create your own fun and unique jewelry! Remember to think and be as creative as you can and always have fun! :)

Thanks for reading!!

-Mary


1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh these are so cool! I used to love wearing unique earrings! And I love that you made them! My fave is the gears! I'm going to have to give this a go soon!

    Jen ~ elfsbeauty

    ReplyDelete